Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Open House

I went to the open house at my daughter's high school last night.

We arrived fashionably late by intent. I'm sure the PTSA is a worthwhile organization but I'm not much of a "joiner" to begin with, and time is tough enough to get these days, but there's no way I'm sitting through that schpeil. Other parents admired our thinking that through in advance and saving 20 minutes.

I liked all her teachers, and I met them all.
I think her administration is as good as any administration can be.
It was easy to navigate around the large campus...I'd been there plenty for "work," but it was easy anyway.
I tried not to make eye contact with the kids selling the Krispy Kreme's as a fundraiser. Good idea, but I didn't have any cash and it's easier to not look at them. It was my only defense.
I saw some teachers who go to our church and said "hi" to them.
I texted my higher-order life-liver sister who asked if their were cocktails at such events. If the PTSA wants to get really serious in their membership drive, I think my sister might be on to something.
I saw some other parents who we've bumped into for the last 9 years at elementary schools and middle schools. We laughed and commented about this reality.
I saw some of the teens my daughter has bumped shoulders with over the last 9 years. They looked so much older.

And...

...suddenly...

...I felt so much older.

But, I really did enjoy myself. And it's a pretty exciting time of life if you're asking me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home