Wednesday, May 10, 2006

The Big Dig

There are earthmovers all over my 'burb. They're all doing the job they were designed to do, too. Now that I think about it, they're doing it well.

Our church originally purchased a whole lot of land, always planning on using the corner of the busiest intersecting streets as investment property. Well, we invested. We sold. They're building on that corner and lots of earth is being moved...except around the big trees on the true corner. I think those stay.

Across the street they're erecting fences for a soccer park. A bunch of fields and parking and such. The lights are already up and some of the fences to keep stray balls off one busy street. It's very level.

If I were to drive home on the main roads, I would pass an area that's got a lot of earth being moved in which the design for the complex is called "New Urbanism." It's supposedly going to have a "Main Street" feel with a bunch of large stores that are currently about 20 minutes away. On the opposite corner there's another more traditional functional box kinda deal being built. Wal-Mart is involved. So are the neighborhood associations. Apparently, Wal-Mart creates concerns. I'm not exactly sure why, but they seem pretty serious about it all. They'll be less than successful in their efforts, I'm guessing...since the earthmovers have already moved out and the cement trucks and cranes have arrived.

If I go home on lesser used roads, across the street from the Super Target on both corners there's more earth being moved. Lots of it. I've heard the phrase "big box retailers" used. After that, I kinda get tired-head about which stores are going in where.

And some friends who own homes on another main artery, somewhere around 10 or 12 of them--I'm guessing--are trying to work a deal with a group of folks who intend on putting a whole bunch more earthmovers to work.

I've been thinking about what all this means in more human terms, though:

Progress is inevitable.
Capitalism works!
We are folks who like options and convenience.
We need tax dollars from businesses to take the load off private property owners.
The economy is doing pretty well, I'm guessing.
There's money to be made in retail.
Architectural concerns matter in some places, not so much in others.
Shopping is something a bunch of people must enjoy, but I'm not one of them.
You can make a bundle in real estate, both by design and because you kinda got lucky some guy with earthmovers wants your house.
If you move into a community and live there for a decade, you start phrases with, "Remember when we drove to church and it was all horses and llamas?"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home