Friday, March 31, 2006

Those Crazy Kids With Their Rock N Roll...

I've tried.
I've got one.
I still don't get it: MySpace.

I wanted to see what all the rage was about among teenagers so I made a MySpace page...largely so I could see what their sites were about. My teenagers, both in my home and in my ministry.

As best I can tell, it's about inane bulletins and posts, getting as many "friends" as possible, taking quizzes and posting the results, and putting pictures of yourself so friends can comment on them (and I'm amazed at how much young girls will expose and how much young men will drink and then post), and little blurbs about yourself. The blog feature is largely unused.

From my vantage point, blogging is about words and ideas...with commenting for feedback. Sure, you have a little bit of links and other stuff to give others a context regarding the background of your writing...but it seems that blogging is more "coffee house." You are chatting about ideas and thoughts.

MySpace is like a dance club. It's all lights and loud music and little real interaction. Much sizzle. Little steak. Everybody's looking to score.

Ultimately, they're both about community, which I like. I guess I'm more of a coffee conversation, watch the news, go to bed person these days.

But, I'll give the kids their chance to dance all night and such...it's what they're supposed to do.

But I still don't "get it." Maybe I'm not supposed to.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home