Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Open Note To The Teens Protesting Immigration Laws In Dallas

I understand that the issue is terribly complex.
I understand that the issue affect you and yours more than it affects me and mine.

But your protests might carry more weight if...

...every now and again you wave an American flag beside the Tricolores.
...you get involved in the April 9 protest already organized. That's on a Sunday. See, when you're skipping school it's hard to see any sacrifice in your protest.
...you drive responsibly to the protest.
...or choose NOT to get on the busses provided by the Dallas Independent School District to take you back to school.
...you don't play in the public fountain or storm a very ordinary city council meeting with nothing much to say.
...when the newscasters are broadcasting live from the protest, try to keep people from doing the booty dance behind them or flexing. Even though it's funny, it's hard to hear what the one who really believes in what she's doing has to say.
...don't let someone interview you if you're going to punt and yell "Viva Mexico" instead of articulating a point of view.

I'm a big fan of teenagers.
I'm a big fan of non-violent protest (I'd have rolled well with the organizers of the Boston Tea Party) over injustice--even if it is a PERCIEVED injustice.

Put the two together and I should be one of your biggest supporters.

But you've put me in a very difficult position, kids.

I hope you all show up on April 9.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home