Friday, March 24, 2006

Throwin' Off My Groove

My newspaper hasn't been thrown by 5:30AM for two days in a row.

I wonder if my deliverer just had a baby...

...or maybe his car is having trouble with the chilly weather we've had lately.

...or if he started throwing his route backwards just to break up the monotony.

...or if the weather wrapping he's using is from a new distributor and doesn't lend itself to quick application.

And it brings to mind a story that's been told of my grandfather. That he used to enjoy his morning ritual, involving coffee & the daily miracle that is a newspaper, too. There was turnover in the news delivery industry in his neighborhood...back when it was teenagers on bicycles...and after having his paper delivered the first week after 6AM he waited the next delivery day on the driveway...

...waiting for the bicycle delivery kid. When he showed up he asked him why his paper was coming after 6AM. The kid told him that he didn't have to have the papers delivered until 6:30 and he was well ahead of that.

My grandfather told him that if "I'd wanted to subscribe to the afternoon paper, I would." Back then, there were two papers in his city that came daily...the Post-Herald in the morning, the News in the afternoon. His paper began coming earlier. Maybe he started throwing the route backwards to avoid my grandfather.

But my point is, my routine is unload dishwasher, pour coffee (now that my machine has a clock and it has it ready immediately after my shower), read the paper, scan the on-line papers to get different perspective, then do the blogging.

It throws off my whole groove to do it this way. Maybe I'll brush my teeth with my left hand and see how else I allow my day to be all topsy-turvy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home