Sunday, March 26, 2006

I Can Only Imagine...

Top selling albums from 2005:

#1. Mariah Carey, "The Emancipation of Mimi" (5 million copies)
#5. The Black Eyed Peas, "Monkey Business" (3 million copies)
#6. Coldplay, "X & Y" (2.6 million copies)
#8. Gwen Stefani, "Love, Angel, Music, Baby" (2.5 million copies)

Top selling Christian albums from 2005:

#1. Switchfoot, "Nothing Is Sound" (0.5 million copies)
#3. Relient K, "MMHMM" (0.4 million copies)
#4. Switchfoot, "The Beautiful Letdown" (0.4 million copies)

A few thoughts:

I wonder how many Christians purchased the other stuff.
I wonder if it's because the Christian community still sings, publishes and creates largely for itself.
I wonder if that's a bad thing.
I wonder if it's because of marketing/promotion reasons.
I wonder if it's because the music isn't as innovative, fun or creative.
I wonder if the sales of bands like Fall-Out Boy are better or worse than top selling Christian albums.
I wonder if it's because Christians have other priorities with money.
I wonder if it matters at all.
I wonder if it's all of the above.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home