Monday, March 06, 2006

Food For Thought

I read an op-ed page article by David Brooks of the NY Times, on a theme I probably should've blogged about before: "What High Schoolers Should've Learned Before They Get To College." I guess that when you're a respected columnist of the NY Times, big-time professors will respond to your inquiries. Self-publisher of The Diner doesn't carry that much clout, nor would I send e-mails to big-time college professors.

He mentioned the books they should've read (Neibuhr & Plato) and the classes they should've been offered (philosophy) but here were some quotes about high schoolers that I found interesting:

A Boston College professor, on reading Neibuhr: "The devout would learn that public piety corrupts private faith and that faith must play a prophetic role in society. The athiests would learn that some who believe in God are really, really smart."

Another teacher on the nature of today's students: "My impression is that many students have turned into cunning little careerists, jockeying for advancement."

A Yale professor, on his students, who've been raised to be workaholics (achievers without ambition): they have devloped a "carapace, an enveloping shell that hinders them from seeing the full, rich variety of intellectual and practical opportunities offered by the world."

Just thought I'd let you know that I'm seeing the same things in my students...generally speaking, of course.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home