Monday, March 06, 2006

The Oscars?

As I've told my students before, the way I see it, Hollywood is kind of America High School.

It's full of the psuedodrama: Who is dating who; who broke up with who; who is doing the next big thing; the kids whose parents are big shots, who is at the right parties, etc.

It has it's "A" list people and "B" list people and people moving from list to list depending on who is hot or not at that moment.

It has a parochial view of the outside world. Much like politics. You know what I mean. The people involved are the stars of their own play and the rest of the folks are just extras or supporting cast in it. They really believe in their own self importance, and truly think that the world around them is enamored of them.

I could go on and on with the comparisons, but my favorite moments of the night were when Jennifer Garner almost fell down (which I think it would've been more interesting had she fallen--and of course not gotten hurt--to see if she handled it gracefully or not, as she did with her slip)

...and the hands-down best moment was when the rappers won for best song or whatever. It was like watching the nerds from high school play the practical joke on the jocks. No matter which side of that fence you sit on, you kinda are happy for the nerds. Those guys were happy and rowdy and you could just feel the a-listers disapproving, which made it a beautiful moment.

I guess that's the way it is when you haven't seen any of the films up for stuff, except March of the Penguins. And I don't even know if it won or not.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home