Tuesday, March 14, 2006

The Drive

Yesterday was all about the drive. Far North Dallas to Medium South Birmingham. 673.8 miles according to Yahoo Maps and it should've taken 11 hours and 9 minutes. I'm not sure if they counted normal stops in that time...

...but it wouldn't have mattered. My daughters have become true road warriors. We made one stop. In Rayville, Louisiana (which, by the way, had cajun spiced everything available at their Subway) at a gas station that had a restaurant in it.

That's right. One stop.

We made it in 10 hours and 5 minutes, including the stop...and I'm not prone to speeding. It doesn't make sense to me to risk a $200 speeding ticket to save about 20 minutes of time.

And...get this. No TV, and in fact, only a two hour stretch where I listened to some sermons (which, by the way, will induce your children to put on their iPods and read). Other than that, we talked. About dreams and hopes and fears and general catching up and about books we were reading and views on stuff...you name it. If nothing else happens on this trip, it was entirely worth it just for that time with my girls.

We arrived at around 6:30PM to my neice and sister-in-law and home-cooked food by my mother-in-law who said there was no food in the house and she was able to whip together enough food to stuff all 7 of us.

And, an open note to whoever is in charge of Highway 280 in Birmingham: It's a mess. We could get 3/4 of the way to Tuscaloosa in the time it took us to navigate 280 (about 6 miles). Fix it.

We watched the Stars play on cable and were introduced to TiVO. Uh-oh. That's seeming like another monthly fee after checking that out.

I got text messaged by some teens in my ministry...fun is being had and they seem to be enjoying themselves. Without me. Imagine that.

Read some.

Slept hard. I gotta say it: I loves me some serious thunderstorms at bedtime.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home