Friday, February 03, 2006

Long-Range

Apparently, people have been buzzing about my future behind my back.

Don't get me wrong...that's actually a good thing. See, a few years back, our church brought on Nathan to spend his entire time directing our middle school ministry.

Then, this year, our church brought on Steve-O to spend his entire time directing our high school ministry.

In addition, we've got Heather and Kristi training to work with middle and high schoolers, respectively.

What this has done has gotten all sorts of people coming into my office or stopping me in hallways & asking me, "So...with all these people working in the Dungeon [our student ministry room] now...are you...well...when...er, I mean...what are you going to be doing? They ask/say this while clinching their teeth and kinda sorta whispering, like they're asking me if I want to buy one of the 55 watches they've got hidden in their trenchcoat.

Well, honestly, it's no big secret.

I'll keep doing what I've always done: Disciple students.

I guess people aren't aware of exactly how many students we're responsible for discipling. I guess I'm the reason for that. I don't do numbers for public consumption when it comes to my work. Suffice to say that there are churches in our area that have more full-time staff than we do that don't have as many people as we have students.

So, really, we're just getting people we need to do the work that needs to be done well. And what my staff gives me is the ability to establish vision and direction instead of the day-to-day management of the ministry. Basically, I still teach my Sunday School class and have my senior guys' Bible study and hang out with teens at the coffee shop on Wednesday night and go on trips with them.

Like I said, my job isn't really changing all that much. I just have to train more people to be doing the same thing, and maybe serving parents a bit more.

And, it gives me the chance to influence bigger pictures, like what I'd like to see our church be and do in say, the next 5 or 10 years. Notice I used the phrase "our church." You can read between the lines on that one.

That's what I'll be doing in the next 5 or 10 years (assuming, of course, "our church" doesn't get tired of me)...

...what do YOU...er, ummm...think...I mean...hope you'll be doing in the next 5 or 10 years?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home