Monday, February 20, 2006

The Grass Isn't Always Greener

It's strange. I'm strange.

I enjoy my mornings. The family is still asleep. I can ease into my day with the cup o' joe, Dallas Morning News, a Bible, my dog on my footrest. It's about an hour and a half of time for just me.

I get annoyed if that routine is infiltrated. The earlier-than-normal rising child. The wife who has an early job responsiblity who gets going in the midst of it. The dog who wants to play instead of sleep. I don't do or say anything about the television with forced banter among forced-happy morning show drivel or questions about what I have to do that day. I am quietly peeved.

Last night my daughters both spent the night out and about.

My wife has been out of town on a long weekend with two of her friends, so she's out and about, too.

I came home last night to an empty house. I was actually kind of excited about it. Lots of "me" time as Tracy won't be home until later in the day today. The girls too.

Well, last night's "me" time lasted about 20 minutes. After getting home from church, I ate, I had the tv on while I did some small chores and played with the dog. I watched the news. I read for half an hour. I fell asleep.

This morning, I slept in until 7. I took the dog out for his morning constitutional. I did my morning thing...

...and now it's quiet.

Nobody's stirring. It's almost 9AM. It's TOO quiet.

Whatever bachelor-type tendencies I thought I had have evaporated. I like these people in my life. I like their interruptions to my routine in a weird way. I like it when "my" time ends and "their" time starts. I don't like it when they aren't here and I can hear the wind in the chimney or the hum of the refrigerator or the heater kick on...not when it's time for more substantial sounds.

I'll make the best of it.

But it's TOO quiet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home