Friday, October 07, 2005

A Very PoMo Sense Of Community!

I was going to answer a couple of questions from the comments on my blog the last couple of days...but what I'd like to do is let you do it. I definitely have some opinions and insights, but I'd like to hear what some of you think...so, I'll repeat the quotes with the question, and answer tomorrow.

In the meantime, grab a cup of joe, pull up a Diner seat, and let's have a little authentic on-line community today, eh?

Here's the quote again: "Sociologists point out that, no matter how 'family-like' they appear, small groups typically stop short of real (read financial) group maintenance--people who think or act differently either conform or quit. Instead of providing a context where young people may safely wrestle with faith and with one another, small groups--like youth groups and churches as a whole--tend to operate under a veneer of niceness that makes the kind of honesty to which Christians are called decidedly unwelcome."

From Pierced and Tatooed Kristen: "So what safe place does the author propose that gives students the ability to wrestle their faith? and how does he define small groups?"

From Justin: "So, Brent, in your last post I was wondering if you would expound on "Sociologists point out that, no matter how 'family-like' they appear, small groups typically stop short of real (read financial) group maintenance". What does it mean, what is your take on it, what does the Bible say about it, and how do I go about making sure I'm not one of those."

I'll get my cup of joe and expound tomorrow, but I'd like to hear your various insights into two really good questions...or you can expound on the quote in whatever mindset you bring to it.

Ready...GO!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home