Thursday, October 06, 2005

More From That Book...

Some of my readers crack me up. They'll comment like crazy when the topic is their favorite cartoon character, but when they read something serious, they tend to send me e-mails. Nice e-mails, too. Just wanting to know more about what I said, or maybe a clarification, or even to start dialogue on a specific part of what I quoted. More private that way, I guess. Frankly, I'm surprised as can be that I have as many readers as read this thing. I can't imagine why anyone would care about what I write.

Anyway, the major substantive thing going on is that I'm reading one of the most influential youth ministry books I've ever read (Practicing Passion, by Kenda Dean). I find myself daydreaming during meetings about the ideas. In fact, I'll be a little sad when I finish the book tonight in my hammock in the 50 degree weather.

A couple of more quotes for you to chew on:

(from a footnote): "If Barbie were real, she would stand 7' 2" tall, have a bust/waist/hip measurement of 40-22-36, and sport a neck twice as long as other humans. The average North American women, by contrast, stands 5' 4" tall, wears a size 12, and measures 37-29-40." I think it's tough to be a teenage girl in America.

(today's youth) "...have a Jedi-like belief that faith equals feelings: 'If I trust my feelings, they will lead me to God.'" Uh-oh.

(A guestion every youth minister needs to ask): "Is my canvas for ministry with young people stretched across the frame of Christian practices, or is it tacked onto beams of wholesome entertainment, content mastery, and good works--valuable activities, but bereft of power to bestow identity because their transformational connection to Christ's life, death and resurrection has been lost?"

So, feel free to comment...or e-mail (even if I don't have enough time to give full answers, don't be surprised if I send back one wanting to talk about it over coffee).



"Y

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home