Monday, August 22, 2005

Old Stuff

Okay, so how do you know when it's time to "upgrade" some of your stuff?

For example, my lounge chair. My favorite chair. Actually, it was my father-in-law's chair before the great In-Law Home Redecoration of 1988. It was a good chair then (despite the cat clawings) and it is fully functional. Very comfortable still. We could probably afford a new chair and I really like those "chair-and-a-half" deals. But I've got mileage (or, lack thereof) with this chair. I rocked my kids late and night in this chair. I read my newspaper in this chair. My dog sits on the footrest of this chair. I've watched tons of ballgames in this chair. I like the chair...but when do you know it's time to go?

Not as much sentimentality, but we've got a computer that does everything we need it to do...except that it won't run the latest software because it's about 5 years old. Tracy's getting high-speed for her business (of which I'm guessing the family could get in on), too. That would mean a new printer (as I'm guessing the drivers for the old one are out of date) and other periphials, too. But still, it does everything we need it to do. When do you upgrade?

Old CD's. There are a few CD's notably missing from my collection (Beck's "Odelay" and his new one, two Nirvana CD's I have on tape and Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon") and some ones I rarely, if ever, listen to (like Velvet Revolver, Queens of the Stone Age and Buckcherry) I should trade in. But...I MIGHT listen to them at any moment if the mood hits. When do you just make that decision?

Old clothes. Not that I'm a slave to fashion or anything like that, but I've got some clothes I haven't worn in ages, but they still fit, they're in good condition, etc. I've got jackets that I thought were cool that people gave me (like a NASCAR leather jacket) that I might never wear. I've got the coat that Tracy gave me for Christmas the year we got engaged that is coming back into style (it's the first piece of clothes I can do that with and I don't know if that's good or bad)--the teens tell me how "retro-cool" it is. When do you get rid of it or should you keep it if you have the space?

If you have any insights into this, lemme know...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home