Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Katrina

Being from Alabama, I've seen plenty of hurricane coverage on the news. Mostly it's a bunch of weather reporters screaming into a microphone while being blown by the wind followed by video the next day showing debris everywhere. That's followed by news coverage of relief from the Red Cross and the National Guard.

Most of what I'd seen to date on television was looking a lot like that.

Until last night at around 9:30 (couldn't get to a TV all day because of work) when I sat down to get caught up on the news. The video of what's going on in New Orleans floored me.

The headline on a special section in the Dallas Morning News quotes the words of Lousiana's governor: "It's Just Heartbreaking."

I know words are cheap these days...we use hyperbole so often that the meanings of them get muddied.

But what I'm seeing on the news is just that. Heartbreaking.

Usually, I'm pretty distant from emotion when it comes to news stories. The recent tsunami, fires, earthquakes or mudslides you see periodically on the news really don't get me too worked up.

But the thought of an entire city 12 feet under water and watching people cling to life by sitting on a rooftop and waiting and knowing that people could die because they can't get their medicine or whatever, well...

...it's heartbreaking.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home