Thursday, July 14, 2005

NoCal Chronicles, Day 3

It was the day of the iPod. There's no other way to describe it...more on that in a second.

First, we ran some errands with my sister, winding up at Half Moon Bay (the location of the wedding on Sunday) and looking around a bit. A very beautiful setting on the Pacific Coast. The homes across the street run about 4 million bucks.

There are some benefits to having lived in an area for a while (he's lived in various places around here since college): My sister's barnstorming pilot fiance Shane brilliantly saved paying the valet at the Ritz-Carlton by using a little-known technical rule that if the public beach access parking lot is full, they've gotta let you park for free. Of course, you don't get the V.I.P. treatment, but you save the cash.

He also delivered on avoiding the public parking lot at our next stop: Another visit to Haight Ashbury. I knew my hippie-chick daughter Shelby would dig it, and Tracy would like it, too. Plus, Kelsey and I were on a time crunch the previous day so we didn't browse or people-watch as much as we would've liked. That time-warp of hippie culture is classic, too, although I'm not sure there's a place that lives on it's past as much as that area. The funniest thing in Tracy's brain was that there was a GAP store on one of the corners and the sheer irony of that. Shelby did dig the scene and definitely was attracted to the aspects of hippie fashion, with the flowing skirts, tie-dye apparel and big cloth purses...not to mention the shoes available. Tracy took a few photos, too, but less that I would've thought.

One of the strangest things was that there was a huge amount of Ralph Macchio memorabilia availabe in the area: Stickers, tatoos, buttons, the whole deal. What's up with the Karate Kid being everywhere down there?

Anyway, upon our return, we grabbed some dinner and then the technological fun began. Shane and Jilly gave our family iPods for being a part of the wedding festivities. The girls got the "minis" in pink and green, and so they spent the rest of the night loading their CD's on the drives...

Tracy and I will work on ours later, maybe tonight. Mine is this 30 gig deal with color screen and the whole works. I think it holds something like 7,500 songs and photos or something ridiculous like that. It even has some sort of tv feature...when I get some time I'll fiddle with it. Anyway, the bigger concern is who I'm becoming. Let's be honest here, shall we? A new car, a cell phone and now an iPod all in one month? I fear unknown of what's next...

Charlotte the Scar (a.k.a. My Mom) and her husband got in town late last night and we'll spend some time sightseeing with them today, and then Kelsey and I are off to the Rangers baseball game tonight...they're actually in town to play the Oakland A's.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home