Sunday, July 10, 2005

My Weekend

When you're in ministry, sometimes your weekends can get away from you. I mean, I woke up this morning and I couldn't believe my weekend was over (when you're in ministry, you pretty much work all day Sunday, so that's really equivalent to everyone else's "Monday").

First, some tickets to the baseball game fell into our lap courtesy of a family friend. One of the ways I spend time with my oldest daughter is at the baseball games. The pace is great for hanging out, and we both love the game so I'll take every chance I can get to be there with her.

The tickets were courtesy of a family friend. His company has GREAT seats so we were treated to "corporate" ballgame rather than "Joe Guy" ballgame. You know, instead of paying $10 to park and walk half a mile, he just showed a pass and we walked across the street. Free programs instead of not even bothering with the programs. Sitting in the shade instead of the late evening heat. The works.

The game itself was bizarre in all sorts of ways. The 2nd pitch was fouled off and smacked a 4-year-old in the face...which can really bum out an entire section (the usher told us later that her face was swollen, but teeth/head/etc. were all fine). Then, the same guy caught TWO foul balls in like two innings. There were four broken bats, and another batter let his bat go into the crowd. The home team gave up six runs in the 2nd inning so it looked to be a blowout. Then the Rangers stormed back and won in the bottom of the ninth on three throwing errors. The crowd was waving their free T-shirts like crazy one the first error occurred and the atmosphere was incredibly fun for the last 15 minutes of pitching changes and all that. Couldn't ask for a better time.

Afterward, this friend stopped by the restaurant chain he works for and "shopped" it. You know, acted like a customer at the drive-thru to guage how well the staff/cooks/restaurant was doing. I was fascinated by it all. I think I asked about 45 questions on the way home as to how much effort goes into things we take for granted...and how orchestrated that experience is. It was very cool to hear about it from somebody who is in charge of all that stuff. I'm still fascinated by it. Plus, we got free chicken out of the deal!

I didn't feel like blogging yesterday, primarily as by the time I'd read the paper and been in the Word a bit, it was time for breakfast with a young couple who is getting married in the fall. I know her very well, and she wants me to get to know him better before I perform the ceremony. That's a very good sign...and they are pretty fun, so breakfast was enjoyable.

I checked out the Weather Channel to see how Hurricane Dennis is faring. I have friends and family that'll be affected by it (not to mention it's heading straight for my favorite beach vacation destination). When hurricanes are afoot, there's no beating the Weather Channel's coverage. I'm fascinated by hurricanes and the fact that reporters stand in them...largely because I don't have to deal with them, I think.

Then I had a final pre-marital counseling session with another couple getting married in three weeks. That's always the hardest one because it's the least "romantic" or "fun" (you talk about handling life-difficulties as a couple, which is decidedly not "fun"--but much needed)...plus they were tired as they were having a plethora of showers and stuff while they were here for the weekend. They're on the right track, though...they've chosen well. Like the rest of us, it'll be up to the decisions they make day to day.

Last night, I took the girls to a buffet pizza joint for dinner as Tracy had a wedding to shoot. I can't put my finger on it (even after getting a tutorial on restaurant management), but I always have fun taking my girls there. For whatever reason, it's something we've always enjoyed doing more than most places we go out to.

Watched the baseball team win again (they're trying to climb back in this pennant race and now have the number down to a reasonable pre-All-Star game digit) and went to bed.

Today, it'll be church, go for the pre-vacation mowing, baseball game, church again, packing, and it's off to SF for a vacation centered around Jilly's wedding. That should have PLENTY of blog material. I should wear a t-shirt that says, "I'm Blogging All Of This" just to forewarn Jilly and Shane's friends and family.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home