Thursday, July 07, 2005

Sometimes, The Light Bulb Just Turns On

Got this in the mail (an actual posted letter) yesterday and it was very encouraging. I've known this particular teen since she was in 6th grade...she was led to the Lord by one of my senior high students, had a spiritually unsupportive family situation, was starving for attention and bordered on obnoxious.

She grew in Christ. Her heart changed over the last 7 years.

She's now a counselor at a Christian summer camp and about to head off to college in the Fall.

Anyway, here's what got me:

"Then this week there was one girl who is a daily struggle, and she's found in my constant prayers. She even has a such a rough home life that I have to talk to the director tomorrow. And I see the fake imitation injuries for attention and though I want to give her attention and love I can't baby her.

I guess I'm just saying it's a difficult week, and sometimes I really can't do this. I appreciate and respect even more what you do, serving in mininstry--even when you feel like you're not always up to it.

I appreciate and love you so much as a great role model and mentor. I'm sure I was one of the students that you also may have had a hard time loving--and you weren't getting rid of me in a week! So I guess all I am saying is 'thanks.' Thank you for always loving me."

When the light bulb goes off in a teen's head and they "get it," well...I don't know that there's a better encouragement in ministry.

And maybe we should all encourage each other more.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home