Wednesday, January 26, 2005

The New Kid

My daughter invited a friend to our church's middle school program last night. The kid climbed into our van wearing a Rolling Stones hoodie and asked if it was okay to wear to our church (it is...we have lots of fans of Gramps With Amps at CBC). She's into Tom Petty (her favorite and she saw him in concert when she was 6 with her dad), Queen, The Eagles, Led Zeppelin and not a day goes by that she doesn't "have the Beatles playing at some point." She told me she was born two decades too late. She writes all the time and her favorite class is Creative Writing. She lived in a "haunted apartment" once and left a warning note for the new occupants on her moving day. Her dad is in N.A. She claims 8 siblings. The choices she gave her parents for her birthday present were a pony or Napoleon Dynamite on DVD. They didn't give her the DVD because she "quotes it all the time so she doesn't need it" and she's still waiting on her pony. Her coach doesn't like her "because she doesn't run very fast."

She told her small group leader that she liked our church and she might "need more religion" in her life.

I immediately liked this kid.

The kid liked our church's middle school program. Said it was "cool."

I hope it's a long and happy arrangement for both of us. I get the feeling that she wants/needs His love, and I know that The Kingdom would love to have her.

I'm guessing as long as I'm still being drawn to teens like her, I'm in the right business.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home