Sunday, January 30, 2005

Beauty and The Beast

I've been pretty much live theatre intensive this weekend. Last night, it was the Marcus High School production of Disney's Beauty and The Beast. I think this show was different than Suessical's production largely because most everyone in America has seen the movie...and I'd even seen it on Broadway a couple of years ago. People would have some very high expectations this cast and crew would have to meet.

And, they really did rise to the occasion.

My friend Kaylah was in the ensemble which played the townspeople in the villages and it was obvious she was having fun, especially one time when she had to walk by Gaston with flirting eyes.
My friend Meghan was also in the ensemble and she got to play the barmaid in the hunting lodge scenes. The ensemble really got to show their stuff when they did an extended dance with mugs during the "Gaston" song in Act 1. That addition to the scene was truly impressive.
My friend Brandon was ill, so I didn't get to see him perform tonight (and I'd heard he was brilliant as Gaston, and knowing him, he was brilliant as he was literally built for the stage) but he ran the auction like a pro and got a poster signed by the entire cast to go for $450 in large part because he was so funny.
My friend John had the lead as the Beast/prince. He handled a part that required all kinds of stage movement (wearing a full set of makeup as well as a full length cape) on a two-story set, a fight scene and the singing parts like a pro. John, you're eaten up with all kinds of talent, my friend.

Lots of people can come up with a good show, but when you can tackle a beloved cartoon with a live-action play (run with a live orchestra as well...way to go Stephanie!) and not only meet, but exceed, the crowd's expectations, well, that's quite a feat.

*tipping his cap*

Impressive job, guys. Very nice.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home