Sunday, December 19, 2004

Celebration Intensive

Yesterday I was on the fly like you wouldn't believe. It all started when one of my former students, who I was intensely involved in her discipleship, was having a party to celebrate her graduation from university. I got to visit a lot of friends and such, so that was good, and two thoughts were primary in my mind: First, that every time I get around Melissa, it reminds me that sometimes there really is a "payoff" for your hard work as she's come very far spiritually (not to mention that I've known this young woman since she was 12). And second, that her parents are doing something right as they have three children who have a true heart for God.

Then I was off to our staff Christmas "open house." It's a lot of fun to be around our staff as we have our own little "warp and woof" as a group. No one leaves our staff at all...and there's a reason: Sometimes it's cool to be associated with uber-talented people with amazing gifts who are all working for The Kingdom. We've been together, personality quirks and generation gaps and all, for about 5 years now as a unit (some of us have been around about a decade together) and it really is fun to get together outside of work, with spouses and all.

Next stop was our mini-church Christmas party. They're fun people, too. We did a gift exchange and had a lot of laughs...we meet fairly often and do life together.

Immediately following I stopped by the college/career Christmas party to see former students en masse. I'm floored by what amazing followers of Christ many of them have become. Last night, even though conversation was on engagments/dating/college grades/Auburn football (they cared and noticed!)/our ministry, etc. there were spiritual overtones to everything. I talked with full-time missionaries and soon-to-be full-time missionaries. I talked with engaged couples telling me the story of how they felt God leading them to glorify Him by getting married. I talked about summer ministry experiences they had months ago. I heard about new Bible studies starting. I saw them having fun together with the "warps and woofs" and inside jokes that can only be shared after 7 years of life together.

And on the way home, I thanked God that I serve a church in which life together is normative. And that they are indeed the family of God to me, personality quirks and generation gaps and all. I'm blessed beyond comprehension.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home