Sunday, November 07, 2004

My Friend Nathan Got Married Yesterday

On the way to the wedding, a billboard on the interstate leading to downtown advertised a surgical procedure that would help eliminate excessively sweaty palms. Is this a problem that really needs to be addressed surgically?

He asked the teenagers in the student ministry to show up wearing purple (the colors of the bride), and they did. Afterward, he wanted the photographer to get a photo with all of them. At the reception, Nathan told me the photographer "got the photo of us with the kids for the Dungeon (our student ministry room)." He's going to make a pretty good youth minister if he's thinking about stuff like that on his wedding day.

One of my colleagues, Bill, has this knack for goofing up one thing at any wedding he performs. Notably, there was one wedding where he forgot to say, "Please be seated" and the entire congregation stood for 25 minutes. This time he did really well. The only thing he could've done better was to shorten one sentence in his vows. The couple laughingly had trouble with one of the phrases due to it's length and structure. It was actually a very personal and endearing occurrance in the ceremony and I can't imagine what it's like to officiate the wedding of your child...so shouts out to Bill on a job well done! He said something really cool about the rings, which I'm going to have to steal.

At the reception, the groom's cake had a Texas Tech logo on it and they played the school's fight song before they cut it. Being from the South (where such behavior is perfectly normal and expected) I thought it was a nice touch, even though I didn't know any of the words, but many in the crowd fell right in line and sang along.

I'm not sure I like the tradition of the "dollar dance." You know, where the bride and groom take a buck to dance with whoever pays it during a song? I think the reason I don't like it is that Tracy and I didn't know about it when we got married.

I'm also out on the shoving of the cake in each other's faces, but I like the putting of some icing on the nose of the other one. I guess it's not the act, but the amount.

My church family really feels homey. We've been here long enough that we know all the kids getting married and all the families of CBC wind up going to these weddings and receptions together. It was strange seeing all the people from our church sitting together in another church, though.

The art of giving toasts in our society needs to be worked on...but the heartfelt sentiments are always pretty cool no matter how they're delivered.

Vanilla Ice still can get a crowd excited.

He loves her. She loves him. They kissed.

The countdown is over. The count-up begins...which is way better, anyway.

I had no married staff two weeks ago, and now most of my staff is on their honeymoon. I've got a lot to do this week, I guess. But it's well worth it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home