Monday, October 25, 2004

An Oh So Very Valid Day

I rebounded quite nicely from my day of nothingness, if I do say so myself. I had a blast watching greeting the middle schoolers and taking care of ministry business (even if Nathanis getting a bit loopy with his impending nuptials)…watching them raise a bunch of money for needy families in our area for Thanksgiving and having joy doing it. Eternal things were taking place in the foyer of our church among our church membership.

Even though I didn’t get to attend church, I got to serve a caring mom with a special situation regarding her daughter…and the session was well worth it. Eternal things were discussed...and I truly believe her daughter will do great things for the Kingdom even if it looks very fuzzy at the moment.

Our church renewed our churchwide picnic tradition. It was fun watching so many people of all ages fellowshipping together. Horseshoes, bluegrass bands, sand volleyball, train rides for the kids…creative and fun hanging out. I like to think of things like that as eternity practice. And we practiced well yesterday.

Then I got to teach (as a substitute for the regular teacher) on the subject of the cross for an advanced class for teenagers. I came away with the idea that a lot of the kids in that class “got it.” Eternal truths with current, practical applications, and they were getting it.

On the heels of that I got to teach on the subject of joy to my Sunday School class. Again, for some reason, I got the impression the teens “got it.” More eternal truths with current, practical applications.

I came home and Tracy was meeting with the bride who is getting married Saturday. I’m excited for them and have the honor of performing the worship service they’ll be getting married in. More joy, watching God’s eternal plan for them unfold.

If Douglas Coupland is right when he says that “The only valid viewpoint for any decision is eternity,” then I had a very valid day yesterday.

Of course, in the same book, Coupland also says, "Life is a bowl of chainsaws."

I still had a valid day...with no chainsaws.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home