Thursday, October 28, 2004

Dear Sports Fairy Godmother, As Long As You Seem To Be Granting Long-Awaited Wishes...

So, Sports Fairy Godmother, I watched the Boston Red Sox fans celebrate their team's World Series victory. They are probably still dancing in the street in a party that started at around 10:30PM last night.

I'm asking, on behalf of many others, for a similar experience.

See, Sports Fairy Godmother, there's a university in a small town in eastern Alabama that hasn't won it all since 1957. I'm not ho-humming those magical moments you've thrown our way about every 10 years. Most notably in "Amazins" in 1972 and their memorable victory over the Crimson Tide, and for that I'm grateful.

And, Sports Fairy Godmother, I'm not sneezing at the 11-1 1983 Tigers when they beat 9 bowl teams, really were the best team in the nation but lost out due to the prejudices of the voting system.

And, Sports Fairy Godmother, I appreciate the "AttitUde" team of 1993, when they were the only unbeaten, untied team in the nation and didn't win it, either, due to our self-inflicted sins of, ahem, cheating.

I'll take those and be generally happy with my once-per-decade magical moment. But, since you seem to be giving the long-suffering fans in New England a break, how about one for the Deep South?

Just once, I'd like to see the Auburn University Tigers run the table. To vanquish all gridiron foes, go 13-0, and have a crystal football standing in the Athletic Center offices next to the two Heisman Trophies.

I can honestly say that I'd go to the championship game and pay whatever I had to in order to see it in person. And, after the win, I'd do whatever it took to get to the intersection of College and Magnolia in Auburn, Alabama, ASAP, and throw toilet paper in the trees with the four generations of AU grads and current students that would be there. And I'd celebrate in front of Samford Hall until I could see the sunlight hit the clock tower and listen to the band play the fight song. Then I'd eat Breakfast at The Grille and walk around campus and buy a ton of t-shirts and memorabilia. And I'd go home happy...after pre-ordering the DVD for Christmas.

Just once, Sport Fairy Godmother...since you seem to be helping the underdogs lately. Just once.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home