Friday, July 02, 2004

There's A Reason You Cry When Old Yeller Dies

So the vet tells me my dog's heart doesn't work right. Apparently, there's fluid where there isn't supposed to be fluid. That's why she's been coughing so much the last few nights.

So the vet tells me he isn't sure, that he would need to confirm these suspicions with tests. In my mind, he's sure. I can tell that he's really only worried about my heart. The extra tests aren't necessary. He's an excellent veterinarian.

So the excellent vet tells me about some things he could try. The treatment would involve pills and *might* buy a year *if* everything works well. It might not work at all. We'd need more tests to confirm it. I read between my excellent veterinarian's lines and ask a few difficult questions. He's got an excellent bedside manner.

So, finally, I ask the vet if I were to make an appointment to put my dog down would he advise against it. He says he wouldn't.

I made an appointment for Saturday morning.

We told our daughters. We made an executive decision that for the next 48 hours love and people food would be the orders of the day.

So after nearly 15 years her heart doesn't work right. After 15 years of her heart being in the right place constantly...now it's putting fluid where there isn't supposed to be fluid.

And today, that fact makes my heart hurt.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home