Sunday, July 11, 2004

On The Road, Sans Kerouac

Driving. A long way. I usually loathe it.

Yesterday, I didn't. My family has had a crowded summer. Not really hectic and certainly enjoyable, but it seems like we're constantly "on the go." Mission trip here, ballet workshop there, softball over there, in laws in town, etc. Nothing bad. Just on the go a lot.

So I guess that a 10-hour drive through the Texas panhandle helps slow things down. I think the panhandle just feels slower...and I don't think I'm alone in those thoughts.

For example, saw a sign at a roadside stand that said, "dang good candy." Homemade candy at a roadside stand. Slow pace of life allows that to happen.

Another sign at a gas station: "Please don't buy tobacco products or alcohol for minors." Slow pace of life has all sorts of things going on, too.

We passed a shiny, convertible Cadillac with posed mannequins in bikinis waving at the passers-by. Slow pace of life.

People talk slower. People walk slower.

I felt myself slowing down. Hopefully the week upcoming will let me do that more.

Hopefully, I'll have internet access at the camp we're staying (the slow pace of life camp director said, "Yeah, we've got dial-up service in each room, but your software has to dial a '9' and then pause, and then you've got to have a local access number.") So, if that slow pace of life works out, I'll have a slow pace series of blogs...if not, I'm reading a book in the Rockies somewhere.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home