Thursday, March 04, 2004

Two Class Rings

How great is it that the Balfour company has a freakin' lifetime guarantee on their rings? My university class ring was purchased by my father in 1964 and he wore it until his death in 1979. My mom saved it, thinking that I was likely going to the same university. She gave it to me late in my junior year, which was really cool. Matter of fact, I wear his wedding band, too.

Anyway, after 40 years the stone on the class ring was worn and I needed to get the ring sized again. No local jeweler would touch it as they kept saying, "Just send it back to Balfour. They've got lifetime warranties." I figured somehow or another I was gonna get rooked.

See, the only class ring that I ever purchased was my junior year in high school...and my girlfriend took it after school the first day I got it, put yarn around the bottom of the ring, and wore it for the better part of two years. It was also obvious that you don't wear your high school ring after high school. I paid over $200 bucks to wear that ring for a half-day.

So, I called the Balfour people who gave me instructions. I followed them...but I took photos of the ring, insured it for WAY more than it was worth, packaged it with WAY more bubble wrap than it needed, and sent it registered mail. I added my name to my father's name on the inside of the ring since it was free and all.

And, VIOLA! It came back after about a week all perfect and beautiful and wonderful. No hassles at all. The company even called to check on me to make sure I was happy. I told them I was.

I was happy until about two weeks ago and the stone fell out. I don't know if maybe I bumped it somehow or if there was a flaw in the gem or whatever, but I looked down and the stone wasn't there. So, we'll send the ring off to the fine folks at Balfour and I feel pretty sure they'll fix it to my satifaction...

I'm also going to make one other change, too: Put my year of graduation on the opposite side of my dad's where it currently says "AU." It'll say "1987" now.

I just gotta pop it in the mail...but what am I supposed to do with my Berry High School Class of 1984 ring that currently sits in my dresser caddy as it has for the last 19 years?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home