Thursday, February 26, 2004

The Passion of the Christ

A few scattered thoughts after seeing the movie yesterday at the 11:30AM showing:

I find it hard to understand how anyone could view the movie as "anti-Semitic." My friend even attended with a RABBI for cryin' out loud who said as much.

It would be hard for anyone who wasn't familiar with the Bible stories to tell the players without a scorecard. There were some flashback scenes that might leave neophytes of Scripture in the dark as well. Now I know what I sounded like asking Lord of the Rings afficianados things like, "Why is that staff so magical? Why can't elves die?"

It probably isn't that great of a movie for what Christians call "outreach." My wish is that someone would've told that to the lady who loudly announced (during the closing credits to an otherwise silent and somewhat reflective audience) that she had "tracts from the Billy Graham Association" that can tell you how you can have a "relationship with Jesus Christ because He is alive." No one responded to her. I can't blame them.

The film is harsh and brutal. It is, at the same time, an artful film. I stand by my earlier blog that the "R" rating should stand as a good guidline for parents.

The language and subtitles "work," and even added to my enjoyment of the movie. Normally, I don't like subtitles, but this film had to be done this way.

High points: The opening scene in the Garden of Gethsemane, complete with a brilliant Genesis reference of the "curse." There is a rain drop coming from heaven at the end of the Crucifixion was the basis for some creative cinematography. Both are simply amazing on the big screen. I doubt seriously if the DVD will do it justice.

Low point: The earthquake/splitting of the vail in the temple was noticably overdone. The special effects when Jesus side was pierced seemed comparatively weak, too. There was a scene where Satan was holding some demon-baby that I still have no idea what was trying to be communicated and neither did my pastor.

As an "epic" film it has an "Oscar" tone to it. It likely won't get nominated as the "niche" marketing of the movie doesn't lend itself to wide audiences and the controversy will override any critical acclaim, but it was easily a better movie than Titanic. The movie was truly relentless. It stayed after you from the opening scene to the credits...our theatre had no commercials, previews of coming attractions, or reminders to turn off cell phones. It started and we fastened our seat belts.

My take: A contextually violent but artfully accomplished movie, done with excellence befitting one of any particular year's best film. By far the best "Jesus" movie I've ever seen, and certainly provocative. I've spent more money on worse movies, and I'll buy the DVD. But it is a movie, no matter how well done or what the subject matter. No more. No less.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home