Saturday, February 21, 2004

Empty Nest Kind of Morning

My daughters were out and about last night. One at a youth group conference, the other at a sleepover with a friend.

This morning, I treated myself by sleeping in until 6:30, made the coffee, read the paper, grabbed The Book, grabbed a book, grabbed the laptop...

...and not a creature is stirring. My own two sorry creatures, Buford--the greatest of all dogs--and Lloyd (the apprentice), went back to sleep.

I was thinking this might be what an "empty nest" is like. It's nice in a way, but I think it's nice because this is a rarity and not the norm. I mean, no kid to help get ready for school. No papers to sign. No lunch money to dole out. No climbing into my chair with hugs and questions. No morning hype music happening in the back of the house. No chores happening. No reminding children about chores.

It's just quiet.

At present, I'm glad this situation is temporary.

And, I'll be a bit more attentive at high school graduation this spring when parents start talking about how hard the last kid leaving will be.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home