Tuesday, March 09, 2004

Jury Summons

It came in the mail yesterday. Return address: Denton County Courthouse--Jury Services.

I tore the perforated edges off both ends. I am to return a questionnaire within 10 days or some very bad things will happen. Those bad things are not listed, but there's plenty of red highlights and underlining and arrows followed by a 3-step process in big bold type.

April 6 is my day to show up. 8:20AM. If I don't, I'm subject to a fine somewhere between $10 and $100. If I were a big shot, I can't imagine that penalty would motivate me.

I'm also told that my clothing should be "reasonable befitting the dignity and solemnity of the court proceedings." (big underlined bold letters tell me that shorts, tank tops and t-shirts are not reasonable, dignified or solemn) Maybe I'll watch Law & Order and see how their juries define "reasonable."

I'll go.

But why do I see this opportunity as more of a hassle than a joyful, American responsibility? Why do I envision three days of sitting in a jury pool room in reasonable clothing reading a book? Why do I desperately want to avoid hearing the word "sequestered?"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home