Friday, January 02, 2004

"Work is what's kept us happy..."

Admittedly, I'm taking this out of context. But here's a nice provocation from Al Franken (check out my "books I dig" section...I'm on an Al Franken kick):

"Sometimes I wonder why people do what they do for a living and how they feel about their work. What is it that gives them a sense of a job well done?"

He goes on to discuss his reasons for being a comedian/writer and the rewards and the satisfaction...

Well, I'm a youth pastor. The reason I do it is simply because I have no other choice. I mean, I firmly believe that God had a plan for me that He drew up at the beginning of time. He created me with certain passions and talents that all add up to working with teenagers and teaching them about Him. I cannot get around the reality that I'm joyfully in the center of where God wants me. I still love what I do...even after 15 years. I'd be miserable doing almost anything else.

What gives me a sense of a job well done? The problem is that it's a crock pot job in a microwave culture. I generally don't know if the job is well done as far as "growing teenagers" goes...even until they are about 25 and living on their own doing what they're built to do (and even that hinges on about 1,000 other factors) so it isn't really a results-driven business.

I guess the sense of a job well done comes from "walking humbly with my God" and having loving relationships with the people He has asked me to serve. Sure, there's a bit of satisfaction that comes from a creating an innovative lesson and then teaching it...or maybe from that teen that "gets it" and walks worthy or hits the mission field or becomes a youth minister (which has happened, thankfully, a lot around me). But when you attempt to do your job for an Unseen Audience of One, well, the sense of a job well done tends to come from allowing Him to work out His plan in you and the rest is gravy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home