Saturday, December 27, 2003

Leading Pop Culture Indicators

Very nice article in the Dallas Morning News religion section that provokes thinking. It starts like this:

"You can tell a lot about people if you know what they like to do, right? Certain habits and tastes suggest certain values and behaviors.

Well, what would you guess about someone whose four favorite CDs of 2003 were by 50 Cent, Norah Jones, Shania Twain and the Dixie Chicks? Or whose favorite movies this year were Finding Nemo, Pirates of the Caribbean, The Matrix Reloaded and Bruce Almighty? Or whose top TV episodes of the year included the finales to Joe Millionaire and American Idol and more than a dozen hours of CSI?"

The guy even quotes Whitman, for crying out loud. And, by the way, the shows/music/movies listed are all leaders for the whole country.

What do these say about me?

My favorite CD purchases were R.E.M.'s "In Time" (which was a greatest hits over the last five years), followed by an old "Live" CD called "Throwing Copper" and then a punk music compilation.

My favorite TV shows are Simpsons and Seinfeld reruns. I watch sports and the news, but the only weekly shows I catch with any regularity are "Friends" and "C.S.I. Miami" but neither of those are priorities.

My favorite CD purchases were all silly comedies, none from 2003 (except I did pick up Bruce Almighty): Office Space, Animal House, Dumb and Dumber, and Spinal Tap.

I guess the only way to find out what it says about me is to type it into Amazon and then have it give me suggestions for purchases...that thing is usually dead-on accurate...but I have no idea what they say about me other than I like comedies and music that's off the beaten path.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home