Saturday, December 13, 2003

Dinner With Friends

Last night I went to a dinner party with friends and their spouses...which, when I think about it, in that room there were some of the most creative and intelligent people I know. An added bonus was that I truly like everyone that was there, too.

Well, during dinner these are the types of people who throw out hypothetical questions and we'd go around the room answering them. Here's the questions:

Who are three people you'd want to meet?

Okay, we started slow with the creativity...but I went with Thomas Jefferson, Winston Churchill and then I lumped Kurt Cobain and Johnny (Rotten) Lydon together. The common thread: highly intellectual rabble-rousers.

What is something you've always wanted to do but haven't?

I didn't get to answer that question because everybody who did had about three or four and we got a new question going, but my answer (which contained three) would've been, in order: Give my wife the honeymoon and engagement ring she deserves and never got either; write the children's book I've got bouncing around in my brain; and finish a marathon (that one may be done in March, though!).

Tell us something we don't know about you:

That was tough because we've all known each other a considerable length of time. My answer would've been that, in college, I actually drove to Columbus, GA (where there was a military base which also lent itself to tattoo parlors) fully intent on getting Mighty Mouse etched on my instep. I had the cash for the outline, but I didn't have enough for the color fill...so all my friends got theirs, but man...what's Mighty Mouse without the red tights and blue cape? If I were to get ink done now, it'd be the Lost and Found cross on their Christmas CD and the H.I. McDonough/Lone Biker of the Apocolypse "Woody Woodpecker" tattoo on both my insteps.

We had a great time last night. I love it when people start telling stories and you hear some great lines before they get to the point...you know...those moments when somebody says, "Then, me and Lefty Houlihan went down to the Jackson Brewery..." and the room erupts with, "Hey, wait a minute...you had a friend named Lefty?" And the response is, "Yeah, we all had nicknames. Lefty, Dingle, Fat Tony, Heebie. In fact, lots of people didn't even know our real names back then." Needless to say, for about a week or until we get tired of it, one guy is getting called Dingle.

Beats TV or some DVD or some movie anyway...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home