Friday, November 14, 2003

Proud Dad Alert.
Please "x-out" or scroll down if this annoys you

I have a problem with putting that "My kid made the honor roll" bumper sticker on my car. It looks to me that parents are so proud of the wrong thing. I mean, the fact that you'd display one seemed that you were highlighting academic excellence as the primary achievement of their children (now that suburban house fraus put their kids teams/numbers/sports on their SUV windows has detracted from the academic highlight somewhat). So, much to my children's chagrin, we have a drawer full of "honor student" bumper stickers.

Well, now I have quite the dilemma...

See, Tracy and I got this phone call telling us to keep a secret: That Kelsey was getting an award at school. A "Lamar Leader." The counselor gave us the time and date and secret pre-meeting location for the assembly.

So, she gets this award. But here's the kicker. The award goes only to two kids and it's based on "good academic standing, demonstration of outstanding leadership, classroom cooperation and participation, being a positive role model and willingness to help others."

The kids get to go to lunch with the principal at the restaurant of their choice. They got a special card that gets them into sports and dances free as well as free ice cream on Friday, a watch (with Lamar Longhorns proudly embossed on the faceplate) and some school spirit pencils and such.

And a bumper sticker...

An award based on character and such, and exclusive, and now my dilemma. Do I place said bumper sticker on my car?

I lead a charmed life...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home