Thursday, November 06, 2003

Last night my Bible study went really well. It wasn't anything I did or said, it was just that my junior/senior guys started looking at Paul's prayer in Colossians 1: 9--14 and personalizing it:

"For this reason also, since the day we heard of it, we have not ceased to pray for you and to ask that you may be filled with the knowledge of His will in all spiritual wisdom and understanding, so that you may walk in a manner worthy of the Lord, to please Him in all respects, bearing fruit in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God, strengthened with all power according to His glorious might, for the attaining of all steadfastness and patience; joyously giving thanks to the Father, who has qualified us to share with the inheritance of the saints in light. For He delivered us from the domain of darkness, and transferred us to the Kingdom of His beloved Son in whom we have redemption for the forgiveness of sins."

What would a life look like if we were filled with the "super knowledge" (the Greek word epignosis) of God's will for us, both behaviorally and in our beliefs? What if we understood it and applied it acurately?

What would a life look like if we walked worthy of this super knowledge?

What would a life look like if we pleased Christ in all areas of our life, from thoughts to dealing with that homeless guy or our marriages or the shows we watch?

What would a life look like if we bore fruit and if our insides were so transformed that it affected every iota of our outward behavior?

What would a life look like if we were strengthened with God's power every waking millisecond?

I imagine we'd look a lot like Christ.

Life lesson of Colossians 1 from my Bible study guys last night: Wrong beliefs lead to wrong behavior.

And, for the life of me, I can't imagine why people wouldn't want to have the right beliefs about Christ. Because, frankly, I'd like for Paul's prayer to be answered in my own life on a continual basis. What would my own life look like if it were?

I imagine I'd look more Christ-like.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home