Monday, November 10, 2003

I'm reading a book that has "journal prompts" and since I've pretty much abandoned my Wal-Mart composition notebooks for blogging, I guess you're all coming along for the ride today.

Think about your childhood. What superheroes did you follow--and maybe even act out--when you were a kid?

I didn't really have specific superheros that I followed. Sure, I threw parachute G.I. Joe off the roof with the rest of my friends, but I never "played" Batman or Superman or astonauts or even firemen or soldiers.

My heros were all sports figures...and not only that...obscure sports figures. My earliest hero was a quarterback at Auburn who eventually won the Heisman Trophy, Pat Sullivan. Every kid who followed that team had a poster of him and his favorite reciever sitting on the bench, smiling, after a big win. I remember doing radio calls (I listened to hours of sports which were always on the radio in my childhood, unlike now when they're all on TV, which is why I could rattle off radio play-by-play like nobody's business...still can) in my front yard of me, being Pat Sullivan, winning the big game for Auburn (of which, miraculously, I could both throw and catch the touchdown pass, becoming Terry Beasley in mid-play--if that's not superheroic I have no idea what is). My mom actually caught me acting out a game winning moment on Super 8mm movies once.

There was also a basketball player named Odell Mosteller who played for Auburn. He was known for shooting the ball 20 feet high and having it drop straight down into the basket, which would make the net swish around the rim and get stuck when the ball went through it. I would re-enact the final seconds of imaginary games, counting down the clock like Auburn's radio announcer with a "3...2...1...Mosteller from the top of the key..............

(if it went in)

....it's GOOD! It's GOOD! Mosteller does it AGAIN!!! Auburn has beaten Alabama for the millionth time in a ROW!!!"

(if it didn't go in)

...the shot draws iron...BUT MOSTELLER was FOULED and will go to the line to shoot two and if he makes one (I was reasonably competent from the free-throw line at that age that hitting the first was likely, and missing two was an oddity...thus locking up another victory), Auburn will beat Alabama for the millionth time in a ROW!!!!"

Other heros included a steady stream of minor-league hockey players (for some reason, Birmingham, Alabama, was a hockey hotbed in the late 70's) and minor-league baseball players as well as Dale Murphy, Atlanta Braves catcher...who made the all-star team.

I have no idea what a psychologist would say about these choices. Do you?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home