Monday, October 06, 2003

Some truly random thoughts:

Can anyone tell me why e-mail SPAM and telemarketing actually exist? I don't know of anyone who has ever responded to either one.

Teaching the Bible to teenagers is an adrenaline rush to me. I wonder why that is the case when public speaking is terrifying to most people and the Bible seems boring to most people.

My friend Katherine has a great quote from one of my favorite authors, Eugene Peterson, on her blog. It's about the inherent value of personal relationships. Last night, I watched an hysterically funny movie (well, only if you think Jack Black is funny) with five friends...it reminded me that laughter really is medicine. And friendships are more valuable than we imagine.

Killing a wasp with a rolled up magazine made me feel like a big-game hunter and protector of my children this morning. I would trophy-mount the bug if there was anything left to mount. That reality only made me feel tougher.

Why does the advertisement for the women's friendly soccer game between Mexico and the United States coming to Dallas in November have a prominent photograph of Brandi Chastain with her jersey off exposing her sports bra? Deosn't having the best women's soccer players in the world sell tickets on it's own merit?

I understand the appeal of the "rave" culture to the disenfranchised teens in our culture. Very similar culture to the punk rock mindset (it's own music & style of dress) but without the deconstructionist overtones.

Finally: my sister is coming back today from Tuscany. Wine tasting trip or some such. It's nice to have somebody so cool to live vicariously through.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home