Sunday, May 17, 2009

Prom Night

As many of you know, it somehow became "tradition" that the teens going to prom go over to the youth pastor's house to take photos about an hour before they head out for their big night. If my memory serves correctly, my first year on staff at CBC, some students rented a limo that showed up an hour early and three or four couples killed the free time by popping by our house. I heard the next year that it was "tradition" and they showed up. It since has evolved into a true tradition.

However, for the first time the weather didn't cooperate and it drizzled all day after a night of storms so they nixed coming by my house but decided to come by "our family's other house" (there are awnings and covered stairwells and such):



I've always thought this was funny--the parent paparazzi:



Now, others on their FB pages and my smokin' hot shutterbug trophy wife will have excellent photos from better angles with better cameras. I'm always buzzing around and goofing off with the other dads so my pictures come from that place wherever I happen to be standing when they're lined up.

The group shot:



The guys:



The showpiece every year...the girls:



And then I have to wreck it:



Anyway, it's always fun because it reminds me of community, which I enjoy in all it's forms. This is a little slice of life together as the parents I've spent almost a decade and a half with (and known some of these kids since they were 6 years old or so) hang out and remind ourselves that the days are long but the years are short and we laugh and then they head out for their big night.

And I'll see them at the 10:45am service (our little reminder that no matter what goes on in your life, one form of community together that happens on Sundays for our Tribe still expects you to show up), with hair a little less perfect and tuxedos a little more wrinkled, to serve as ushers and take up the offering in their finery...

...but this is one "tradition" that I'm glad actually became "tradition."

****edit****

Here's one one of the parents took that might give you a better idea of how everybody actually looked:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home