Thursday, June 05, 2008

On The Cover of the Rolling Stone

One of life's little pleasures for me is when I come home from work and see the latest issue of Rolling Stone on the counter. Sure, it may not be what it once was, but it's an American icon for a reason.

Anyway, they rattle off the top 100 guitar songs of all time in the current issue. I won't go through all 100, but let's look at the top 10, shall we?

#10: "Smells Like Teen Spirit" by Nirvana. How can you argue with the greatest guitar intro of a decade making the top 10?
#9: "Statesboro Blues" by The Allman Brothers. I always thought the Allman Brothers were overrated. I could see Layla, by Eric Clapton here instead.
#8: "Stairway to Heaven" by Led Zeppelin. Well, I guess you have to include it, but there's no question it's worn out its welcome.
#7: "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" by The Beatles. I must be missing something. I still maintain that the Beatles are more hype than substance and that if you missed the mania, you missed the so-called genius. I missed the mania. Give me "Whole Lotta Love" by Led Zeppelin and keep the Beatles out of any top 10 list when possible. Clapton, Stones, Hendrix, & Zep all stand out even if you missed their mania.
#6: "Eruption" by Eddie Van Halen. Again, I get it, but it's a cartoon of itself now. When you hear it now, it's like watching Ozzy on The Osbournes. It just isn't what it was then.
#5: "Brown Sugar" by The Rolling Stones. Is there a better guitar intro that gets you going? I can't think of one.
#4: "You Really Got Me" by The Kinks. Well, maybe there's a better guitar intro that gets you going.
#3: "Crossroads" by Cream. The first glaring mistake on the list. One I can't see unless you're trying to get Eric Clapton high on the list because he's so great. I'd go with any number of songs here, such as "Mysterious Ways" by U2, "Twice as Hard" by the Black Crowes, "Blitzkreig Bop" by The Ramones, maybe. But for sure, "Back in Black" by AC/DC.
#2: "Purple Haze" by Jimi Hendrix. It's really just a matter of how many songs you want to give Jimi. I mean, he could easily have 3 of the top 10 if you wanted...I personally like "Wind Cries Mary" better, but how do you leave this one out?
#1: "Johnny B. Goode" by Chuck Berry. Absolutely. Manalive what a great song, and even better solo.

Well, there you have it...

...and what songs would you include on your guitar-driven "get-the-blood-going" list?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home