Monday, March 10, 2008

Circadian Rhythms

We "sprung forward" this weekend. Moved our clocks forward because our government seems to think this additional daylight will somehow save energy. I get it...even if it means that later in summer it won't get dark where I live until 9:30PM.

And, yes, there were the obligatory stories of folks not getting the memo (honestly, Daylight Savings Time did seem to sneak up on us this year with it being so early...or maybe I just wasn't near enough media this week to hear them talking about it) and oversleeping. I saw a memo at a local business last night posted where their employees sign in stating that the time-change wasn't good enough for reporting to work late and they'd somehow be disciplined for tardiness. It must've been there a while because they'd all initialed it.

At any rate, yesterday felt strange.

Our first-service attendance at church was obviously "lighter." Enough of a drop off that I wanted to check the "count" to make sure my observations were correct. They were.

My guess is that the malaise carried over into the second service, too. Not as much a percentage of drop-off, but still enough to notice.

Same for our evening service.

Then, because my body is used to going to bed at a certain time, it was an hour "later" and I wasn't tired. So, I read a book.

Now, I can't prove it. But I really think that hour time-change really does affect people's behavior...and I wonder if it just takes us two days to adjust or what.

I'm all out of whack right now, in fact. I blame my newspaper delivery person who kicked my groove out yesterday and I still haven't recovered. I'm about to test my theory that a nap can correct this, and I'm hoping for a government grant to study the effects of napping as a recovery method for Daylight Savings Time-Change Disorder.

*writes down hypothesis*
*logs data for empirical research*
*prepares for Nap 1*

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home