Sunday, September 23, 2007

So, Today I'm Thinking...

...about how cool my wife is. She has a friend that works for an airline with an extra pass, who called her to see if she wanted to go to Hawaii (Tracy's good friend moved there recently) since some seats were open on that flight. She packed up her camera and went to Hawaii--for the weekend!
...about how miserable my football picks were this weekend. I got one right--out of 8. This is why Vegas is the smartest business model ever.
...that having a driving teen has changed the dynamics of our household for the better in only two days.
...that I'm kind of excited about the new Barnes & Noble and AMC Theaters that is opening in FloMo next weekend. This makes me feel like my soul died a little bit because it excited me.
...that my friend Bailey became the head cheerleader at Marcus High School this year, and they're off to their first 3-0 start since their state championship year. Coincidence? I think not.
...that the way we do communion at our church's 5 O'Clock Worship services is way more enjoyable than in the morning when we kinda have to mass market it. The real bread, the tables in the back, elders serving from each table--very cool. But still not as cool as the way the high schoolers do it, with a real dinner & a time of talking about what God's doing in your life.
...that my frustration level was on high yesterday as I was trying to order something on pay-per-view yesterday and the fine folks at Verizon don't work weekends and the automated phone operator wasn't equipped to handle this transaction. First, there could've been a simple solution, such as when I clicked on the event from the guide, it could say, "You aren't subscribed to this channel, would you like to order it now for $21.95?" Then I could click "yes" or "no." Second, when I tried to go to the web site I couldn't find help or get immediate tech support--make your website more practical & easier to navigate! Third, while looking on your site I was able to find that very event I wanted to order was available for free for Verizon subscribers if you watched on-line. So, all's well that ends well. But that half-hour of frustration was totally unnecessary and this is why you always need to have people serve customers.
...that the work out/diet thing is still going swimmingly. Down 27 pounds from January 1 (when I gave up sodas) and 21 from when I started the work-out/diet thing. I can't tell you how much better I feel.
...the Rangers baseball team has mailed in the end of the season, losing 10 of 11. The only excitement comes from seeing if Michael Young will get his 200 hits again this season after a disasterously slow start.
...the Dallas Stars new uniforms are kind of ugly, but the kind of ugly that makes me want one of the road jerseys.
...I like that moment when the work out is finished, the yardwork is completed, other chores are squared away and all that's left is dinner & relaxing for the evening. That moment is a pure life moment.
...that the article in today's Dallas Morning News about European lifestyles compared to American ones is a real thought-provoker.
...that every time I get an e-mail from the higher-order barnstorming couple with a new photo of my neice, I smile. I smile because, sure, Margaux is a cute kid and all, but also because they're so happy & proud.
...Kid2 is off to watch a ballet in Tulsa today. I'm glad she's into the arts and has opporunities like this one. Plus, yesterday, I had 45 minutes in the car with her. We got to chat and get caught up on stuff--and it makes me want to tell parents that you should turn off your car's DVD player, lower the music to "barely audible," and shut off the mobile phone and talk to you kid. That car-only captive audience is highly valuable time.
...that I've learned an awful lot in the past year. Good and bad.
...that I'm glad my reading has picked back up again. I have no idea why I like reading so much, but I think Dr. Suess had an awful lot to do with it.
...that I'm really looking forward to my day today. Lots of cool stuff at church: My friend Mikey is preaching today, I enjoy teaching my two classes a great deal, 5 O'Clock Worship really excites me, and the Cowboys close it out after all that is said and done. And the possibility of a really long nap in between services. I'd better get on with it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home