Friday, September 21, 2007

Friday Football Picks, Week #4

Last week, against the point spread, I was 4-3 (with one "push"--Alabama won by exactly 3 points), making my record this season 15-8-1. Not too bad...but last week was one of the reasons Vegas always wins, man. There's a reason they make money. Anyway...

...on to this week's slate (which doesn't really have too much that excites me)--after I comment on how unbelievable it is that the Big 12 has only 1 team that can compete on a national scale. Aggie coach Fran is definitely on the hot seat after last night's debacle in Miami. Read the Dallas Morning News today as they really got after him.

Here's the picks:

New Mexico State (+16.5) at Auburn: I know. Auburn's game isn't really worthy of top 8 consideration this week, but they're my team and it's my Diner so they're always gonna be in the mix. I wish they weren't, though. They're struggling offensively and the defense has a propensity to blow it on third and long. This won't help as Hal Mumme's offense at NMSU will run 80 plays and pass on 60 of them. They'll score enough to cover the point spread, but I think Auburn struggles and wins. Diner Prediction: Auburn 31, New Mexico State 20.

Georgia (+3.5) at Alabama: Same as last week. Bama at home. The Tide has, quite literally, the momentum and good vibes of a hungry Alabama following. All the cards fall in Alabama's favor and Georgia lost at home to South Carolina...who isn't as good as Alabama. I can't believe that Saban turned it around that quickly, though, but he has. I really hope I'm wrong, but I think Bama will coast. Diner Prediction: Alabama 28, Georgia 17

South Carolina (+16.5) at LSU: The only thing that makes this mildly interesting is the reality that LSU's starting QB is in danger of not playing and well...ummm...Steve Spurrier. But LSU is scary good this year, and it'll be enough at home, man. Too much firepower. Diner Prediction: LSU 34, South Carolina 17.

Texas Tech at Oklahoma State (+6): Guns up, Red Raider fans. Oklahoma State, in yet another example of the Big 12's drop in the eyes of the nation, lost to...wait for it...Troy. The 4th Division 1-A team in the state of Alabama. They lost to an overrated Georgia team in a big way. Tech scores points like it's pinball. Diner Prediction: Texas Tech 35, Oklahoma State 24.

Penn State at Michigan (+3): Okay. Going to the Big House ain't what it used to be. And Penn State's better than they used to be. I think they're in the top 10 for a reason. Michigan will be better, but when you're only win thus far is against (I like saying this) hapless Notre Dame, well, it's too bad that you don't have a New Mexico State on the schedule to give you a little more confidence. Diner Prediction: Penn State 24, Michigan 10.

Michigan State at Notre Dame (+12.5): Did anybody mention when Notre Dame scored an offensive touchdown this season? If they did, they were lying because they've yet to find the end zone. I think they'll get lucky and get one and muster up a field goal (maybe 2) along the way. Unfortunately Michigan State's got a new coach, they're on the road, and they're no Michigan talent-wise on offense. So, Michigan State wins, but I think the Irish will actually cover. Diner Prediction: Michigan State 21, Notre Dame 10.

Kentucky (+6) at Arkansas: Arkansas will run. And then run again. And the run some more. And Kentucky is still on a high from their upset of Louisville last week. Everybody knows the very best way to shut down a high-octane offense is not to let them have it, run the ball, eat clock and score TD's. Arkansas will have enough at home. If they don't, Houston Nutt will be looking for a job sooner rather than later. Diner Prediction: Arkansas 35, Kentucky 24.

Washington State (+24.5) at USC: Every year, USC has a scare or a loss against a Pac 10 team. The Cougs don't have enough to get that done from what they've shown thus far this year. That scare or two will come from Washington or California. The question is whether or not 4 scores to cover. I think they will, but it's sad when they beat a Big 12 Nebraska by 18 (and it wasn't that close) and I don't think WSU is as good as Nebraska. Diner Prediction: USC 45, Cougs 17.

I was also asked to pick local high school games by some readers so I'll take the three local teams...but really I have no idea about how to pick the games (and they won't count in my standings). Since Lewisville's Fighting Farmers won big last night, I'll pick a few others:

Marcus vs. Keller: Marcus has found new discipline, solid defense and a tremendous kicking game this season if what I saw last week was any indication. Diner Prediction: MHS 34, Keller 20.

Keller Fossil Ridge vs. Flower Mound: The Jags lost a game last week against a team that Marcus struggled against, but won, and I think Fossil Ridge is pretty good. Diner Prediction: Fossil Ridge 28, Flower Mound 24.

Liberty Christian vs. Bowie: I know the kicker for Liberty. Liberty is always significantly better than their non-district teams. I think this one's easy. Diner Prediction: Liberty 42, Bowie 9.

What're your thoughts, patrons?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home