Sunday, August 19, 2007

Hoobey-Goobey

I had a friend that used those words to describe a time-frame where nothing was really wrong but you still felt out-of-sorts and restless and unsatisfied and unproductive and unmotivated and a whole lot of other words that started with "un" and involved more hyphenated descriptions.

Well, I'm in a state of hoobey-goobey, folks.

When I try to read, my mind doesn't focus like it's supposed to no matter how hard I try.

When I watch the game, I get disinterested in a hurry even when my team is winning.

When I want to do something, I can't really put a finger on exactly what it is that I might want to do. Maybe I should drive. Maybe I should nap. Maybe I should relax in the hammock. Maybe I should do some yardwork. Maybe I should play with the dog. Name it. But whenever I start to do that thing I decide I want to do, I immediately decide it isn't what I want to do. Repeat process for an hour or so.

When things are going along just fine, I get a laser focus on the negatives.

When things that would ordinarily give me joy occur, those very same things have an annoying quality to them.

I'm restless.
I'm disinterested.
I'm apathetic.
I'm feelin' bluesy.

There's angst involved.
And schadenfreude, too.

I know.

I have it good.
I have many, many blessings.
I have led a charmed life.
I have dog-therapy at the ready.

What do I have to gripe about?

Nothing.
Really.
Absolutely nothing.

I know this.
Deep-down where you simply know things...this, I know.
And I know that this will pass.
Usually in a day or so.

But I'm still in a state of hoobey-goobey right now.

And my hoobey-goobey antidote involves a steady diet of John Lee Hooker, T-Bone Walker and Robert Johnson. That usually does the trick.

So, Diner patrons...

...when you're in a state of hoobey-goobey...

...what are your antidotes?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home