Saturday, June 16, 2007

I Was Going To Blog Today...

...but Tracy and the girls want doughnut holes for breakfast! I'm off!

***edit***

So, I open the door to the dougnut store and enter. It's the same one I've blogged about before with the immigrant family trying hard for their piece of the American Dream. They're still at it, so I'm assuming they're still in the running for that.

They seem really happy to see me. "Helloooo!" says the co-owner. Through the window that leads into the business end of the doughnut making, her husband smiles and this half bow, which I'm sure is a learned habit from his previous culture. Then he waves, which I'm sure is a learned habit from his more recent culture.

I said, "Good morning." I'm thinking of taking up the half-bow thing. It's kind of cool.

Then this kid, maybe three or four, eating with his parents and sibling blurts out, "Mommy, that man NEEDS A HAIRCUT!"

I laughed. Secretly, I was thankful he didn't add "NEEDS TO LOSE A FEW POUNDS AND GET A FASHION CONSULTANT" to the list. I might've gotten off easy now that I think about it.

The mom, of course, puts her head in her hands. It's obvious she's terribly embarrassed. "Johnny. That's very rude. Now, please apologize to the man."

He did.

I accepted.

A few thoughts:

Hooray for free speech! The kid is entitled to an opinion, and more power to him.
Hooray for the id!
Hooray for good parenting! Mom was all over it. Dad reinforced.
Hooray for friendly shopkeepers!
Hooray for good doughnuts...even if it isn't quite Krispy Kreme status!
Hooray for chocolate milk!
Hooray for rainy Saturday mornings!

This has the makings of a really fun day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home