Thursday, December 21, 2006

Three Days

I've been taking some vacation time from "work." See, when you're in ministry, that line between "life" and "work" often blurs beyond recognition, but they've been after me to actually use my alotted "vacation time" and this seemed as good a time as any.

For whatever reason, I have a hard time taking my alotted "vacation time." I always have. It seemed so silly to me because you'd have to work twice as hard before you left for vacation to get ready to vacate and then you'd have to work twice as hard when you returned from your vacation.

Plus, I'd never been in a financial position to take an extended two-week vacation previous to my current position. Seemed pointless and fruitless to just hang around the house...so I didn't. Sure, I'd take a day or two here or there, but vacations just weren't the norm.

Well, once we came to CBC, we took our first extended vacation...two weeks to the beach. One week with some friends who had daughters the same age as ours followed by a week with the in-laws.

And I learned something about myself: It takes me three days to "leave." For the first few days my mind raced about stuff I'd forgotten to tell the assistants or that kid I didn't follow-up with or did I forget to lock the back door or whatever. Then, I woke up on day 4 with little to think about and I cruised into "vacation mode." I didn't really think much about work or life back home until the day before we were supposed to drive back.

More or less, the same thing happened yesterday: It was the end of Day 3. I played some PlayStation2 NCAA college football, read some, did some light shopping and took in an afternoon movie (Deja Vu, starring Denzel Washington--lots of accidental thinking, but an enjoyable flick) and then did some more reading and more light shopping.

But the brain is starting to disengage...

...and I feel like genuine rest came along with the sunrise today.

Nice.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home