Monday, December 11, 2006

Journal Jar, Entry 3

*some of you might remember that our staff received a "journal jar" at a staff luncheon. It's a jar with little slips of paper containing blog topics...so when I've got nothing in my brain, I'll pull a slip out and roll with it*

Today's entry: Tell about your teenage social life

If memory serves correctly, there was a lot of hanging out.

In middle school, it seemed like me and my friends played a lot of semi-sports. We'd play wiffle ball in my backyard, or go up to Baker's to play a game we invented similar to baseball we named McBride ball (after Jimmy's baseball hero Bake McBride) or we'd play street hockey. Our transportation involved 10-speed bikes...and there was a Dungeons & Dragons phase I'd rather not get into.

In early high school we'd hang out at Putt-Putt Golf & Games. The games were the big player in that...and tokens were lined up on games like Donkey Kong, Centipede, Dig Dug and Galaga. After that freshman year, we'd hang out at Papa Joe's parking lot or goof off at Star Lake. Of course, our high school's sports games were staples of the social scene.

Later in high school we'd all gotten jobs but my junior and senior years I worked most weekends at the Hoover Square Six, taking tickets and seeing my girlfriend before, during & after work. There was Campus Life (similar to Young Life) and I was doing a few things with my church group at Shades Mountain Bible Church. Those functions were rare, though.

We didn't go to many parties or school dances if I recall. Sure, we'd hit homecoming or prom if we'd gotten a date, but none of the others...and the party scene didn't do too much for me and my friends. Mostly it was something like going to the game (football or basketball were highly social) or a movie and then killing that last hour or two at Star Lake talking while tossing a football around. Sure, there was an occiasional "rolling" of a yard or even taking a weekend at Auburn watching the game or what not, but, looking back on it, we were embarrasingly normal in that regard.

It was pretty happy, though. High school for me was pretty enjoyable...especially since I didn't take the education part too seriously.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home