Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Fly Me To The Moon

$104 Billion.

That's how much our government wants to spend on a lunar outpost. Lunar means moon. Outpost means a frontier settlement.

And that's just for starters, folks. They're a little less than forthcoming on how much maintenance would cost. The government reps are "declining comment" on that little piece of information. The claim is that they'll just shift some of the Space Shuttle money around...apparently, the shuttles are done in 2010.

They're going to land at the south pole of the moon. Gets a lot of sunlight there, I'm told. Good for solar power, I'm told.

And, you know what? I have absolutely no doubt that this feat can be pulled off. None whatsoever. And from there? Mars. That's the plan, anyway.

But, NASA, as one of your many contributors, I couldn't care less if folks ever live on the moon, or if flights there are as common as transatlantic flights, or if sunbathing on the lunar south pole ever happens. I'm not interested.

Yes, tell me about computers.
Yes, tell me about Tang.
Yes, tell me about Velcro.
Yes, tell me about pens that write upside down.

Those are good things, no question. But when I hear folks talk about the space program they always mention that there are incredible benefits that come out of the research for it that benefit the American public...and the world.

Well, tell ya what. Put all that money towards research regarding alternative forms of energy. Every penny. Get all those big NASA brains working on solar cars and wind power off the Gulf Coast and airplanes that fly using big rubber bands. Eliminate our dependence on oil to the degree you can and I promise you a bundle of other world problems simply go away. And all those very creative things that help the American public will still happen.

Worried about the automotive industry? Good old supply and demand will have them come up with their very own alternative solutions and such. They'll all adapt or die. That's their problem. I'd imagine Auto Zone would get pretty good at selling parts for the new vehicles and such. I'd imagine the 7-11 on the corner will still have some sort of docking bays and sell sodas and Beef Jerky.

So, consider mine as one vote AGAINST this silliness and expensive chest-thumping. Really, the reason I'm against it is that I already know you CAN do it. That isn't the issue. The issue is where I want that money to be spent. And if my grandkids would rather ride in their solar cars to my house for Thanksgiving than watch news clips of other kids hopping in their space suits at the South Pole Lunar Outpost.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home