Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Brushes With Greatness

David Letterman used to do this bit where he would get audience members to talk about their brushes with greatness. You know, some sort of thing where you were just walking along, living life, and came across somebody famous or important or infamous or whatever. Couldn't be someone you were intending to see...just one that you ran across.

I haven't had many, but these came immediately to mind:

...some friends and I were riding in a glass elevator at a hotel while waiting on our parents to pick us up from a hockey game and legendary guitar player Chet Atkins got on to go the restaurant.
...I saw Charlie Sheen pumping gas while I was walking in Manhattan on a visit to my higher-order life-liver sister Jilly.
...same visit, Sally Field was going to the same Broadway show as us and she got out of the limo and went in while we were standing by the door.
...I was at McDonald's in Auburn right after Charles Barkley signed his first pro contract with the 76ers and chatted with him in line. He didn't order as much as you'd think.
...some college friends and I were picking up another friend at the airport in Atlanta (when you could go directly to the gate) and we saw the professional wrestling tag-team champions The Freebirds. We went crazy and they came over and high-fived us all.
...numerous run-ins with Bo Jackson and other various Auburn football players and coaches as a student there. My favorite was riding in Tim's pickup truck and seeing Bo coming out of a phone booth wearing a Superman outfit surrounded by photographers.
...sitting in a restaurant here in Dallas going to see their show, and seated at the table next to us was the entire band Stavesacre. I couldn't have been more thrilled.

All of a sudden, I'm drawing a blank, but I'm sure I'll remember more later. What are some of your brushes with greatness?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home