Saturday, November 04, 2006

Answering Some Of The Questions

Hey, The Diner management is now gonna attempt to answer a lot of the questions that were posed the last couple of days. You'll need to check the last two days of comments to get on board with what was asked, though:

First, on the bumper sticker: Who sits around and cares if a bumper sticker is "rude" or "written with a sarcastic hand?" The same could be said about the attitudes of the founding fathers of the good old U.S. of A. in the Declaration of Independence. Same of Paul in certain letters. It's the ideas that matter, and the idea behind the sticker is theologically accurate and funny, since you asked.

Second, on where "religion and politics" overlap: Only in the conscience of the individual members of the electorate doing the voting. There and only there. Anything else is trying to get the culture to bend to the whims of believers...which flips the very idea of "salt & light" upside down. It never will. "The world" will always be the dominant guide of the culture, so it seems a lot of energy and money is expended in a lost cause. And that doesn't even factor in all the bad publicity generated. That being said, American Christians have opportunities to serve in government in ways many in the world do not, and they have both the right and responsibility to vote (and I suggest that if most Christians even bothered to do that you'd see influence at incredible levels--so most should shut up until they do that) and participate in government using their gifts, talents, trainings and insights at all levels from local school boards to the presidency. Unfortuately, our two-party system demonizes and squelches honest debate & discussion and don't even get me started on how money drives the whole machine...hence, I'd rather spend the money generated by "Christian lobbying" on other, more personal and loving causes.

Third, on Bullets and Octane: Actually, they're on the European leg of their current world tour. I think Kelsey will win the bet, Hal, as their video is starting to get play on whatever music channels still exist.

Fourth: on the paintings of the "petite Picaso": She's currently working on a series for a gallery showing. Lots of ships at sea, but no cargo on the docks yet. I'm thinking of helping her start a web page with all the works she's done. There currently is a piece hanging at the local Starbucks.

Fifth, on "how am I?": I'm assuming this means in an overall sense given all the recent happenings at our church involving our former senior pastor. Suffice to say it won't bother me a bit when 2006 leaves. I'm tired, but excited about the future. My emotions are all over the map, but in "normal" and "good" ways. I guess the overall most honest answer is, "All things considered, I'm okay. Not great. Not awful. Just okay."

Sixth, on the vaccine: I don't think the vaccine gives anybody license to do anything. After seeing my own mother's last month of life, maybe my philosophy is intensely personal on this one, but I'll be all for any...and I mean ANY...shot that will keep anyone else from having to have their life end that way.

Seventh, on working out: I'm the last person that needs to be commenting on that. I simply haven't made diet and working out a priority at all in the last six months.

Eighth, on the cookbook: I find fewer things less interesting than recipies. I don't cook, I grill. I season. I marinate on occasion. But I can't envision anything more anti-Diner (which is known more for coffee, beverage, conversation and hanging out...nobody comes here for the food) management than for this to become a posting place or exchange home for recipies. I could see if somebody wants to recommend a good marinade brand or barbecue sauce or spice...or brand of brat. But not any sort of cookbook.

Finally, on Leigh's question about the difference in O.T. and N.T. dealings of sin. The simple answer is to read Romans. Pretty much explains it all there. However, that doesn't really answer the question, so I'll just refer you to a great site, Probe Ministries, which is helpful for all sorts of matters discussed on The Diner (and Hollywood, you might like the "political involvement" discussions they have).

Anything else? I mean, the management of The Diner apparently now has to regain our status as a "full-sevice" establishment! :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home