Friday, July 07, 2006

This Can't Be Good

I saw a book browsing the bookstore yesterday that I couldn't resist. C'mon. It had the title "Death by Suburb: How To Keep The Suburbs From Killing Your Soul." It's by David L. Geotz, and there's a website.

Anyway, while waiting on friends at the theatre (we were going to see Superman), Tracy went to get the seats secured and I was besieged by pirates (who were going to see the sequel to Pirates of the Caribbean at midnight), I browsed the book a bit.

Quote 1: "There appear to be more churches in my community than pizza joints. That's quite a statement, because Wheaton, Illinois, is, after all, a suburb of Chicago, home of the world's best pizza. A church building fills at least one corner of most every intersection. On Sundays, high school auditoriums are rented by start-ups. Here is no shortage of houses of worship. I'm sure there must be some pagans in our community, but nobody has seen one in years, though I recently saw some Democrats at the Fourth of July parade."

Quote 2: "I think my suburb, as safe and religiously coated as it is, keeps me from Jesus. Or at least, my suburb (and the religion of the suburbs) obscures the real Jesus. The living patterns of the good life affect me more than I know. Yet the same environmental factors that numb me to the things of God also hold out great promise. I don't need to escape the suburbs. I need to find Jesus here."

Uh-oh.

I'll likely finish this tonight and let you know more...but man...like Steve-O asked me when I told him about the new book I got, he said, "Isn't that the title of the book you should've written?"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home